Sunday, May 1, 2011

This is what I think about when people talk about Kappas

I don't know how many of you have had to sit through statistics lectures. If you've been lucky enough to avoid them they go like this:






I have had to sit through many, many statistics lectures. Hours and hours of my life wasted in complete boredom (and fighting the inevitable sleep). And by being tortured like that I have learned one thing:


Statistics people like their greek letters. A LOT.

I have a feeling that the beginnings of this must have been something like



...or maybe not. But I like to think it was. 

So through all those lectures, I thought I heard it all. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Rho....and then, a new one: KAPPA.

Now, if you're not half as a Japan Nerd as I am (or if you weren't addicted to Harvest Moon as a kid), then Kappa is just another one of those letters. For me, it's a completely different thing. This is what I think about when people talk about Kappas:



So when my statistics proffesor kept going on and on about a Kappa distribution, I really couldn't help myself





Needless to say, it was one of the most entertaining classes ever. Statistics would become so much cooler if river monsters were involved.



No comments:

Post a Comment